Re: -Wignored-returns?

Dale,

Thanks for your prompt response, even if it's one that makes me sad.

I don't really understand why GCC refuses to allow its users to specify this
option. I perfectly understand not including it in -W or -Wall, but not even
permitting this option to be made seems to be more about enforcing the
particular tastes of the GCC developers than it does actually providing a
useful compiler for users. ("Coming as I do from a Lisp background, I balk
at the idea that there is something dangerous about discarding a value" was
the excuse given.) It's rather patronizing to have the GCC developer team
tell us what coding style we want to use.

With the addition of this singular warning, we could completely eliminate
lint and lclint from our development environment, saving us a whole lot of
money. [sigh] It may be trickier without this simple feature.

All the same, I have the deepest of gratitude towards the GCC development
team for making an immensely powerful toolchain for nearly all of the
platforms out there.

 -david

PS: Dale, if GDB on OS/X 10.1.1 is itself segfaulting and getting "internal
error"s right and left, are you the man with whom to speak?