Re: DWARF-2 and constructors/destructors

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 10:52:46PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> Suppose you want to call a (non-virtual) method in C++, from something
> with Dwarf-2 info.  The only way to get the mangled name from the debug
> info is DW_AT_MIPS_linkage_name.  This isn't, of course, present for
> constructors/destructors, since the entry in the class definition is
> for the abstract version.
>
> Is it reasonable for the debugger to have to mangle this itself?  The
> constructor arguments can be arbitrarily complex.  Should there be
> references in the debug information to the base and complete
> constructors anywhere?

And I see, in a rather memorable rant, Daniel Berlin saying that
DW_AT_MIPS_linkage_name is "a hack" (certainly), "not necessary, and
we're trying to make it go away anyway."  Dan, would you mind
enlightening me on how to cope without it without having a full mangler
for every supported C++ ABI attached to the Dwarf-2 reader?

As far as I'm concerned, GDB has no business ever mangling a single
string.  Debug info should provide everything that we need.