Re: fdump-ast-original and strg:

[ fixing the dump format to be able to read back strings ]

The correct solution, in my opinion, is to produce a valid C string
literal.  This can always be done, for any input, and furthermore
there should already be routines in the compiler that you can use
(though I can't be more specific off the top of my head).  Don't try
to invent a new format.