Re: Top-level Makefile

kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) writes:

> I tried it and it seemed to build GCC with -O2 in the initial directory.
> This seems wrong since you want to be able to debug that one easily.  It's
> the ones built during bootstrap that should be -O2.

A cross-compiler should be built with -O2.  I thought 'make bootstrap'
started with -O0.

> So it seems you need to do "make" in the gcc directory *first* and then
> do the top-level make.  Is that correct?

That doesn't sound right.  For natives, 'make bootstrap' should work
from the top level without special effort.

> BTW, my configure for libstdc++v3 is still running and it's been over an
> hour and 45 minutes.

Some non-linux OSs are very inefficient at running configure.  It's a
combination of the quality of the shell---you might try setting
CONFIG_SHELL to an installed recent bash---and the amount of caching
the filesystem does, which I think you're probably stuck with.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org> <geoffk@redhat.com>