How to defeat new check for presence of Ada compiler

Hi,

Since I want to compile GNAT on a new platform, for which I need
to use the native assembler (no cross-binutils), I want to do that
by creating the .s files for the Ada sources using a cross-compiler
and then do the rest of the bootstrap on the target platform.

This used to be simple, just configure and wait for an error due
to the missing compiler. Then copy the .s files and that's it.

But with the recent change to configure, it is not so easy anymore
to have configure do its job for the ada directory as well.
Are there any workarounds for this?

   -Geert