This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Target-specific Front-Ends? (Was: front end changes for altivec)
- From: Tim Hollebeek <tim at hollebeek dot com>
- To: Syd Polk <spolk at apple dot com>
- Cc: Stan Shebs <shebs at apple dot com>, Dale Johannesen <dalej at apple dot com>, Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>, Per Bothner <per at bothner dot com>, Ziemowit Laski <zlaski at apple dot com>, Ira Ruben <ira at apple dot com>, "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, compiler_group at group dot apple dot com
- Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 19:23:56 -0500
- Subject: Re: Target-specific Front-Ends? (Was: front end changes for altivec)
- References: <3C054104.4A7343E@apple.com> <0112FFE4-E44D-11D5-9CA1-0050E4C09301@apple.com>
- Reply-to: tim at hollebeek dot com
> I think the fact that gcc3 code generates code that runs as fast or
> faster than other compilers will convince people to make source code
People feel a sense of ownership over their source code, and resent
being forced to take the time to change it.
Expecting users to make source code changes has been the death of many
a compiler, no matter how advanced.