Re: Target-specific Front-Ends? (Was: front end changes for

On Wednesday, November 28, 2001, at 12:36 , Per Bothner wrote:

> In any case I don't think either the SC or the experienced
> maintainers can make much of a statement "specifying the
> technical parameters of an acceptable solution", nor can we
> make any "guarantee that if a solution meeting those criteria

By "technical parameters" I meant _requirements_ that would be arrived
at through iterative discussion on this list.  Since we're talking
about a compiler, requirements would naturally be technical in nature.

> is created, it will be accepted". Sorry.  Instead, you will
> have to make a proposal on this mailing list, and achieve a
> more-or-less consensus that what you're proposing is

In that case, include me out. :)

> > No more Pascal string work from me. :) :)
>
> My take on that was that Apple gave up just a little too
> easily on that, and that we were close to accepting the
> \p extension.  At least I was leaning in favor of it.

Phrases like "close to accepting" or "leaning in favor"
(or, just now, "more-or-less consensus") are too vague for me to
rely on when devoting my time (and my employer's money!) to
a project.  What I was looking for was a monosyllabic "yes" or
"no," which I never got.

--Zem
Ziemowit Laski                   Apple Computer, Inc.
zlaski@apple.com                 2 Infinite Loop, MS 302-4SN
+1.408.974.6229  Fax .1344       Cupertino, CA  95014-2085