Re: Target-specific Front-Ends? (Was: front end changes for

Ziemowit Laski wrote:

 > I wouldn't mind COLLABORATING with someone on this (I don't think I
 > have sufficient cycles left in my day to go it alone).  But first
 > and foremost, I'd like to have some sort of a statement from the SC
 > specifying the technical parameters of an acceptable solution --
 > in other words, a guarantee that if a solution meeting those
 > criteria is created, it will be accepted.

Generally the SC defers to the maintainers, especially the more
experienced/senior maintainers - some of whom are SC members.

In any case I don't think either the SC or the experienced
maintainers can make much of a statement "specifying the
technical parameters of an acceptable solution", nor can we
make any "guarantee that if a solution meeting those criteria
is created, it will be accepted". Sorry.  Instead, you will
have to make a proposal on this mailing list, and achieve a
more-or-less consensus that what you're proposing is
sufficiently useful and implementable that it makes up for
any extra maintainance or compile-time performance problems.

 > No more Pascal string work from me. :) :)

My take on that was that Apple gave up just a little too
easily on that, and that we were close to accepting the
\p extension.  At least I was leaning in favor of it.
--
	--Per Bothner