Re: Target-specific Front-Ends? (Was: front end changes for altivec)

> Now I believe that we do have some leeway to update the AltiVec
> extension syntax, based on what I know of the size of our installed
> base and how the code is written.  If there is a compromise that
> allows us to have one version of GCC instead of three, and requires
> only minor edits of source (such as {} instead of () for constants),
> I think we will be able to get our users to adopt it.

I think the only way our users will adopt a change is if they have no
choice, and then they will resent it.  I haven't asked them, and neither
has Stan, I don't think, but from what I've seen they are not much
interested in issues of language theory.  They just want their code to
work, and will regard a necessary change to working code as a big minus
with no perceptible benefit to them.  I even sympathize; they do have
schedules and limited resources.