Re: alpha bootstrap failure, new symptom

>     When I said "make bootstrap" it failed.  I presume that it would have
>     done the same for you, since the problem seems to have been
>     machine-independent.
>
> When I do "make bootstrap", it just bootstraps the compiler.  Perhaps you
> were in the directory above "gcc" when you did it.  That might also build
> other stuff (which I never got working for me).

I do, basically,

cvs -z 9 co gcc
cd gcc
mkdir objdir
cd objdir
../configure --enable-languages='c,c++,java,objc,f77'
make -j 4 bootstrap >& build.log

Only I usually use a slightly hacked (to also update new directories)
contrib/gcc_update to keep the gcc directory updated.

I've understood that this is how to build the compiler to test it.
And that has always worked (modulo parallel build bugs).

Brad