Re: alpha bootstrap failure, new symptom

    When I said "make bootstrap" it failed.  I presume that it would have
    done the same for you, since the problem seems to have been
    machine-independent.

When I do "make bootstrap", it just bootstraps the compiler.  Perhaps you
were in the directory above "gcc" when you did it.  That might also build
other stuff (which I never got working for me).