Re: Need some help with GCC

At 8:51 AM -0500 11/28/01, Layne Meier wrote:

>I downloaded the precompiled GCC (version 2.95.2 and 2.95.3) from the sunfreeware.com website.
>Whenever I run a compile I get the following:
>
>checking for gcc...  (cached) cc
>checking wheter the C compiler (cc -O ) works...  no
>configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

	Okay.  You're running a "configure", not a compile.  You can look in the config.log file (in the
	directory you are cd'ed into when running the configure script) to see the details of WHY cc -O
	doesn't work.

	In this case, it would appear that you don't have the location where gcc is installed (/usr/local/bin, for the
	prehuilt SunFreeware.com binaries I believe).

	I also believe that by defining the environment variable

		CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc

	prior to running configure that you can ALSO make this work....

>I could use some advice as I am under deadline for this server installation.

	BTW, you may need to download and install the binutils package as well - not sure if the 2.95.3 compiler
	assumes these are present or not - but you'll get grumpy error messages about certain .<directive>'s not being
	valid syntax when the output of gcc is assembled by the Sun as instead of by the GNU as that it's expecting!

-- Al

		    Quality Software Management
		http://home.earthlink.net/~qsmgmt
			apl@alum.mit.edu
			(978)287-0435 Voice
			(978)808-6836 Cell
			(978)287-0436 Fax

	Software Process Improvement and Management Consulting
	     Language Design and Compiler Implementation