Re: front end changes for altivec

On Tue, 2001-11-27 at 09:50, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Aldy Hernandez <aldyh@cygnus.com> writes:
>
> >> The answer from some quarters might be "vector int<4>" or "vector<4> int",
> >> but this adds complications to the C grammar I don't really want there
> >> since > can be part of a constant expression (so if going that way then do
> >> as many as possible of defining disambiguating rules by reference to
> >> existing practice, proving the existence or nonexistence of ambiguous
> >> cases, describing how the parsing should be implemented).  Or use
> >> "vector(4)".  Or add some other way of specifying a non-default vector
> >
> > i've thought about this some more.
> >
> > do we really need to specify a vector size?  simd architectures
> > generally have a specific vector size, 64bits for sse* and 128bits for
> > altivec.
>
> SSE is 128 bits.

sorry, mmx then.

which complicates things further... with this mmx and sse and sse2, what
would the default be for "vector int"?  mmx is 64bits (right?) and sse
is 128bits, so when we talk of vector int, what are we talking about.

perhaps i should leave that to whomever adds the vector keyword stuff
for x86 :)

--
Aldy Hernandez			E-mail: aldyh@redhat.com
Professional Gypsy