help with gcc

Hi,
I am developing a C program in gcc environment. The problem is that I have to make a system call to execute another program from my main program (i.e. system("program name")). The other program which I am calling is not written in C, and I dont have its source code, so basically I just call it to execute and it returns the output in a output file. I have to take up this output and use it in the main program, but until and unless it writes the output the main program has to wait without using substantial resources (because the other program needs lots of memory and CPU processing). These calling of the other program and execution based on its output happen in a loop. Can you suggest me how to handle this situation.
Thanks in advance
Arijit Paul