This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: ICE in change_address at emit_rtl.c
- From: Richard Henderson <rth at redhat dot com>
- To: Richard Kenner <kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu>
- Cc: neil at daikokuya dot demon dot co dot uk, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 23:19:30 -0800
- Subject: Re: ICE in change_address at emit_rtl.c
- References: <10111251423.AA27748@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>
On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 09:23:28AM -0500, Richard Kenner wrote:
> However, my question is what do we gain by removing SAVE_EXPR if we add
> temporaries that have exactly the same semantics?
Being able to optimize at the tree level. I disbelieve we'll
be able to do that properly given the less than precise
semantics of SAVE_EXPR.
The *only* thing that is good for is holding a temporary during
conversion of *one* expression into rtl. In any other context
we have to play distinctly ugly games.