gcc frontend macros

Hello,

After reading the gcc document "Trees:the intermediate
representation used by C and C++ front ends" I deduce
that gcc creates a intermediate representation file
which can be accessed through the macros listed in the
above mentioned document. Is this correct? If yes than
will I have to seperate the gcc front end manually,
from the actual source code, until the intermedite
file is created and use the listed macros?