Re: gcc-ss-20011119 is now available

Tim Prince wrote:

>DirecPC tells us for your $215 entrance fee and whatever per month you get
>download only. You require a dedicated dial-up for your uplink.

DirectPC does offer the one-way system (downlaod only; phone line used for
upload); but they now also offer a two-way always-on satellite-only option.

Starband (associated with Dish Network) offers no-phone-line two-way
always-on satellite (only).

Both charge $70/month, plus of course one-time equipment and installation.
In both cases you can use the same dish for satellite tv.

>We're on the waiting list for a more competent installer, as
>well as being on the waiting lists in case the DSL or cable providers begin
>adding customers.  They've got plenty of time before they can expect any
>competition from each other,

And competion may be reduced shortly:  DirectTV and Dish network are seeking
regulatory approval for a merger.

    --Per Bothner