Re: Moving C to its own directory (was Re: ObjC tree inlining)

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 11:14:38AM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>
> > I'm a bit nervous about the number of weird libraries with unstable
> > interfaces they want (neon, APR), and wonder if the client will wind
> > up being as portable as we need it to be.  They do seem aware of the
> > issues, and they've got *BSD people on the team so at least it won't
> > be all-the-world-is-Linux crap.

As to the wierd libraries, they will certainly be stable by the time
SVN is (which I'm not sure will be in the next 6 months).  I think
neon can currently be relied upon, and APR will be a part of Apache
2.0 when that is released (which should be soon, I think).

> Also, is the BerkeleyDB file format used in repositories stable long-term
> between BerkeleyDB releases?

It is stable between compatible DB releases, and upgrades nicely (with
no effect on the client) when not.

> Some obvious questions that the "Subversion for CVS Users" page doesn't
> cover are:
>
> * What's the equivalent of cvs -z<n> (link compression)?  In general, how
> do the bandwidth-efficiency of checkouts and updates compare between CVS
> and Subversion?

It's all compressed, and it's way better, in answer to those two
questions.

> * What's the Subversion equivalent of CVS-over-SSH?

Eventually SVN will be able to use HTTPS, just as any other apache
server can.  I don't know of concret plans to implement encryption in
the client at the moment, but I expect it to be done in a reasonable
timeframe.

> * What's the Subversion equivalent of cvsweb, and is there one available
> in which the Subversion sources and their history can be browsed?

There isn't one yet, but the author of webcvs (a cvsweb replacement in
python) is one of the lead SVN developers.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss