Re: gcc-ss-20011119 is now available

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 08:02:49PM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> Some day, the ports system should be able to fetch sources via CVS instead
> of ftp/http, so that for minor updates, also only the cvs diff flows over
> the pipe. But this is more a dream than anything else... ;-)

It actually can.  But (1) there is the problem of "what is the state of
the CVS tree" when fetched by J. Random User.  With snapshots that is not
an issue.  And (2) as one of the Vim MASTERSITES, you would be surprised
how many people build a FreeBSD port -- CVS is not a light weight service
-- I really doubt people would appreciate me increasing the load on the
anoncvs server by the amount I suspect doing this would.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)