This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: GCC and fast eveluaton of polynomials
- From: dewar at gnat dot com
- To: moshier at moshier dot ne dot mediaone dot net, tjw at omnigroup dot com
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, svrci at tbi dot univie dot ac dot at
- Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:16:35 -0500 (EST)
- Subject: Re: GCC and fast eveluaton of polynomials
<<That's really too bad! It looks like the second version will defeat
some optimizations, which would mean that writing it that way
actually prevents the compiler from making a mess of it. Please
mention what brand of computer you are using. If you give a complete
test case in the form of a bug report, maybe someone will investigate.
It is certainly familiar that Horner's rule is a bad idea on modern
processors with significant ILP. That's nothing new.