This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Enough already! (Re: PROPOSAL: Objective-C++ )
- From: Nicola Pero <nicola at brainstorm dot co dot uk>
- To: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:19:45 +0000 (GMT)
- Subject: Re: Enough already! (Re: PROPOSAL: Objective-C++ )
> > So I'd say it's is up to the C++ maintainers to approve any patches
> > that are not in ObjC-specific code, If those changes are reasonable,
> > then I'd be in favor.
> I would oppose Obj-C++ patches that are in the form of changes to
> the C++ front end analogous to what is presently done in C. I
> would support patches to combine the C and C++ front ends, and
> then get Obj-C++ as something closer to a side-effect.
> In general, I would oppose anything that makes it notably harder to
> merge the C and C++ front end, or that duplicates additional code
> across those front ends.
I appreciate your concern for architectural issues and I hope you can
convince those Apple folks to merge/add ObjC++ in the right way.
But I must say that I would be extremely disappointed by the SC if Apple
offered to donate one of its diamonds - the Objective-C++ compiler - to
the GNU project - and the GCC SC would refuse to accept it ... it would be