Re: Moving C to its own directory (was Re: ObjC tree inlining)

On Nov 19, 2001, "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Phil Edwards wrote:
>> The usual objection to this is that it makes CVS history browsing more
>> difficult,e.g., the problems discussed in
>>
>> http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_7.html#SEC66
>>
>> No matter which of the two or three methods of moving files we use, at
>> least one CVS operation will be much harder.

> It's established that we only ever use cvs add / cvs remove, and don't do
> anything directly in the repository except for bulk imports of directories
> previously maintained in CVS elsewhere (e.g. libjava).

It would be extremely beneficial, I'd strongly suggest us to break
this rule in the case of moving the C-specific sources in the GCC
repository.  It would be best to copy all C-specific CVS files to the
`c' sub-directory, such that you can still do CVS diffs based on
dates, but deleting all tags from it, since they were not present in
older releases.  Of course, if you check out an old snapshot by date,
you'll get additional files in the `c' directory that weren't present
back then, but they wouldn't be used at all, because the Makefile
fragment for the C language wouldn't be present.