This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: should MEM tracking be able to optimize this?
- From: kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu (Richard Kenner)
- To: dan at cgsoftware dot com
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Sat, 17 Nov 01 23:40:29 EST
- Subject: Re: should MEM tracking be able to optimize this?
It's not that simple to differentiate between field accesses, and
whether two given field accesses overlap.
True in general, but you don't need to solve the general problem. You
just need an algorithm that tells you when it's known they *don't*.
And it's not hard to find such an algorithm that will do that in the
vast majority of all the common cases.
The tricky part isn't in determining that two fields don't overlap,
but in all the all recordkeeping needed to have that information at
the right place.