libGCJ

G'day

I am currently considering building an environment (I know another one)
that would sit on top of linux.  The reason for my email is that I am
considering writing the environment in java and using libGCJ to compile
it natively so that it would at least be usable (in terms of
performance).  A workmate of mine and I both agree that C++ is
undoubtably a good tool for this job, but I'm wondering about your
thoughts of why I should or should not use java (compiled to native
code) for this.

I have been investigating your libGCJ website, and am very impressed by
the feedback and some of the projects done with libGCJ.  I'm wondering
if you guys have done any "benchmark" tests against native compiled java
vs C++.

I really want to do this project using libGCJ, but I'm hoping you guys
can enlighten me as to the types of issues I might be facing.

your reply is greatfully appreciated

thank you in advance
James Williams