This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Combine versus volatile (Was: Re: Performance of Integer Multiplication on PIII)
- To: mrs at windriver dot com
- Subject: Re: Combine versus volatile (Was: Re: Performance of Integer Multiplication on PIII)
- From: kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu (Richard Kenner)
- Date: Thu, 8 Nov 01 14:45:34 EST
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, torvalds at transmeta dot com
volatile_ok is a stupid hack and should be removed. Removing it would
require fixing any bugs, like the one kenner alluded to,
No, they aren't "bugs": they are things that volatile_ok handles for us.
I agree it's heavy-handed, but the alternative is to look at *all* changes
made to MEMs and make sure each is safe for volatile MEMs. That's
a lot of work.