Re: GCC backend for dummy ?

Hi Pierre,

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 12:26:38AM -0800, pierre@lineo.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a pet project that involves a simplistic
> processor design and an even simpler virtual
> machine that uses this processor. As of today,
> I have a working model of the machine and a
> little assembler that I can use to make test
> programs with.

As noted in the other answer to you, gcc might be too complex for your task.
Perhaps lcc is better suited for your needs.
Try http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/ for the homepage and
http://www.math.utah.edu//pub/lcc/
for the real thing (autoconf'ed build process).

There is a whole book describing each single bit in the compiler
(unfortunately an older version of it, but there is a document describing the
changes on both of the websites iirc).
lcc does not contain optimizations, though.

Hope that helps you a bit,
Martin.

--
The early bird catches the worm. If you want something else for
breakfast, get up later.