Re: altivec triplets: comments?

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 04:35:13PM -0500, Aldy Hernandez wrote:
> On Wed, 2001-11-07 at 16:19, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 04:15:46PM -0500, Aldy Hernandez wrote:
> > > we need to come up with triplets for altivec.
> >
> > Do we really?  For instance, there aren't triplets for every new MIPS
> > processor supported by GCC, but you can't generally link code for two
> > of them together - binutils will report an error when the machine
> > fields do not match.  I think.
>
> we need the triplets for building multilibs.
>
> for example, i want that when i configure for "powerpc-eabialtivec" to
> build -meabi and -mabi=altivec + -meabi libraries.  obviously, with a
> t-eabialtivec file.

I don't see why.  You could just make powerpc-eabi build an Altivec
multilib.  Or come up with a way to specify which multilibs could be
built without specifying the triplet.  Proliferating triplets cause
problems for user code (config.* are in a lot of packages) and I'd
really rather avoid using them to work around GCC's build system!