Re: Commas after "i.e." and "e.g." (was: Re: [Ada] gnat_rmtexi: Use @./@: where appropriate.)

<<The reference given in
<URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-06/msg01685.html> was The
Chicago Manual of Style, 13th edition.  So we need to choose what rule we
follow in GCC.  Suggestions?

I object to the arbitrary comma rule here, it just adds noise. Almost all
rules that say "always add a comma here" are dubious. Commas produce a
pause in reading, and should only be used if that pause is appropraite.

By the way, McGraw Hill has guidelines that recommend against using i.e.
completely. Why? Because so many people misuse it to mean "for example",
that it can cause confusion. The copy editor for my book said " I
appreciate that you use i.e. correctly, but for an American audience I
still recommend against it" She has a point, and almost always it is
clearer to use  "that is" or something similar.