Re: C and assembly listing

Tim Prince wrote:

> > Usually, I invoke objdump with the -S switch on the object file (*.o)
> to obtain
> > that mixture (with -g for gcc).
> > Dunno if something like this can also be produced by gcc itself.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Paolo Carlini.
> >
> This has been the best option for the x86 version, although it has been
> known to skip a few instructions.

That's interesting. Personally, I used this option many times in the past
in order to investigate a few unexpected performance regressions. I had
always assumed that, apart from the additional source coded intermixed,
the assembler was accurately preserved (vs that produced by gcc -S)....

Could you possibly provide some pointers to the "skips" you mention?
(perhaps we are a little bit off-topic, should we move the discussion to
the binutils lists?)

Cheers,
Paolo.