This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Performance of Integer Multiplication on PIII
- To: <pete at ltoi dot iap dot physik dot tu-darmstadt dot de>
- Subject: Re: Performance of Integer Multiplication on PIII
- From: Kevin Atkinson <kevin at atkinson dot dhs dot org>
- Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 06:57:49 -0500 (EST)
- Cc: Tim Prince <tprince at computer dot org>, <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
On Sun, 4 Nov 2001 firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
> On i586: gcc's code generator is not bad
> On i686: gcc's code generator could/should be smarter.
> But, for a sort of varity: Did you crosschecked
> with gcc-2.95.x?
No. However I did cross check it on whatever compiler is shipped with
Mandrake 8.1 "gcc 2.96..." and got very similar results. In fact the last
set of results was using the Mandrake compiler instead of gcc 3.0.2. However,
Gcc 3.0.2 does do slightly worse than gcc 2.96, but the difference is not
substantial, a 1 or two clock cycles at most. I will try to post the
results with Gcc 3.0.2 if I get a chance.
> It may be, that this is just another example of
> the new de-improved x86 backend of the gcc-3.0 line .(?).