Writing a frontend to GCC

I am testing an experimental language that I and a few colleagues have
dsigned. We would rather write frontend to gcc rather than writing our own
compiler from scratch, and were looking for any information you may be able
to offer... perhaps someone has documented this. Please bear in mind that we
have never written a compiler this complex before.

I would also like to write some language specific optimizations, is this
very time consuming (I am not familiar with the internals of GCC)?

TIA,

Stephano

PS: Please don't bother CC'ing me, I am a list member.