Re: auto-sync of top-level 'include' & 'config' directories?

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Seriously, though, I'm about to look at _some_ of this since it
> touches i18n issues.  The gcc tree has the intl library directory
> under the gcc directory, the src tree has it as a top level
> directory.  The latter is the Right Thing, but the libintl in src is
> ancient.  If I just move gcc/intl to top level of /cvs/gcc that will
> make the merge conflict problems even worse.

Also, local libintl changes (e.g. those Kaveh sent recently to fix
warnings) need to be sent back upstream or failing that marked GCC LOCAL.
codingconventions.html needs the practice to follow for libintl patches
documented there.

I agree that libintl should move to toplevel (and then hopefully be
autosynced between gcc and src).

> I'm also looking into importing Bruno Haible's libiconv - that will
> make gettext 0.10.40 happier and give Java (and C-family, near future)
> reliable support for non-ASCII/Unicode charsets.

What would be the configure rules for which of (system iconv in libc,
installed libiconv, in-tree libiconv) would be used (by default, and any
configure options to override this)?

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk