Re: backup schedule on FSF machines

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 09:05:14PM -0500, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> RMS asked me to post some information on our backup schedule at the FSF to
> this list.  I thought I had, but cleaning out an old folder reminded me
> that I hadn't.

There are several other things which we would like to know about
before we consider shifting more operations onto machines maintained
by the FSF.

Capacity considerations:

- What is the maximum outgoing and incoming bandwidth from each
  machine potentially involved, to the network backbone?

- How much disk space is immediately available on each machine?  How
  many spindles is that split over?  What is the practical peak
  throughput to each disk?

- What kind of CPU load can each machine handle?  How many concurrent
  CVS, web, and mail server processes?

Reliability:

- Where are these machines physically located?

- How old is the hardware being used?

- How solid is the hardware being used?

- What precautions have been taken to avoid system failures?

- In the event of a system failure, how long would it take to restore
  service?

Security:

- How many people know the root password?

- How many accounts exist on each machine?

- How many of those are actively used?

- What network services are available?

- How long do security holes remain unpatched?

zw