This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: final install problems
- To: Zack Weinberg <zack at codesourcery dot com>
- Subject: Re: final install problems
- From: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>
- Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 17:07:36 -0500
- cc: Joe Buck <jbuck at synopsys dot com>, Phil Edwards <pedwards at disaster dot jaj dot com>, David <david_fly113 at yahoo dot com>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
>>>>> Zack Weinberg writes:
Zack> I was thinking along the lines of "for each install found in the user's
Zack> PATH, test to see if it works and understands the command line arguments
Zack> we need." More reliable, and more in the spirit of autoconf.
Zack> (Do we use any switches other than -c and -m?)
I believe that AIX /usr/ucb/install and /usr/bin/installbsd accept
the switches but the implemented semantics do not match some GNU
assumption with respect to ownership or permissions. I don't remember the
One needs an "execute" test, not a "link" / "prototype" test.