Re: final install problems

>>>>> Zack Weinberg writes:

Zack> I was thinking along the lines of "for each install found in the user's
Zack> PATH, test to see if it works and understands the command line arguments
Zack> we need."  More reliable, and more in the spirit of autoconf.

Zack> (Do we use any switches other than -c and -m?)

	I believe that AIX /usr/ucb/install and /usr/bin/installbsd accept
the switches but the implemented semantics do not match some GNU
assumption with respect to ownership or permissions.  I don't remember the
details.

	One needs an "execute" test, not a "link" / "prototype" test.

David