This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Change definition of complex::norm
- To: gdr at codesourcery dot com, lucier at math dot purdue dot edu
- Subject: Re: Change definition of complex::norm
- From: dewar at gnat dot com
- Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 07:25:18 -0500 (EST)
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, hjstein at bloomberg dot com, nbecker at fred dot net
<<Must libstdc++ assume IEEE-754 airthmetic on all platform supported by
Well as we have discussed at length, it is not clear what such an assumption
means. Many machines are not quite complete 754 at the hardware level (e.g.
Alpha, SGI), and for efficient code generation, there are problems on other
machines. Furthermore, IEEE-754 is a hardware-software standard that describes
certain operations that must be available, it does not describe the mapping
to various languages.
So it is better to say what you mean, i.e. exactly what assumptions you
want to make, at the C level, rather than just make a broad brush statement
about the entire standard (note that parts of C99 specifying the mapping are
also relevant here).