This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [BusyBox] Re: Long term code compactness regression
- To: mike stump <mrs at windriver dot com>
- Subject: Re: [BusyBox] Re: Long term code compactness regression
- From: Jan Hubicka <jh at suse dot cz>
- Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 20:52:59 +0100
- Cc: jh at suse dot cz, pcarlini at unitus dot it, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- References: <200110301949.LAA23067@kankakee.wrs.com>
> > Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 19:54:15 +0100
> > From: Paolo Carlini <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> > To: Jan Hubicka <email@example.com>
> > CC: firstname.lastname@example.org
> > Jan, sorry for my pedantry, but I have ready at hand a very short
> > and basic c++ testcode (reduced from the Haney tests) which today is
> > 2 times (!) slower than one week ago on i686 (-O2)... Do you have
> > time to look a little bit at it? Here it is (PR4714 for some more
> > details):
> Have you binary searched the changes and identified the change that
> blew performance? If not, that would be a big help in identifying
> what went wrong. If you have, it helps to name the patch that blew
> performance in this type of email.
The slowdown appears to come from the fact that Richard Kenner has fixed
a bug that caused alias code to be bit more aggresive than it can be.