Problem installing GCC 3.0

Hi GCC gurus,

I have installed Linux-Mandrake 6.0 on a compaq deskpro pc and partitioned
the harddrive
to have only Linux on it.

The problem I have come across is that most utilities and applications use
the 'make' utility to
install with. In attempting to install the 'make' utility I get error
messages referring to missing gcc/cc
compiler.

I have therefore downloaded the GCC 3.0 from a mirror site in the UK and
attempted to install it.
But the installation information on both the GCC site and with the gcc-3.0
highly recommends
using the 'make' application.

Error messages following:

On attempting to install the GCC:

./configure
Configuring for i686-pc-linux-gnu host
Created "Makefile" in /usr/sbin/compaq_bits/gcc-3.0 using "mt-frag"
./configure : cc: command not found
*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler

On attempting to install the 'make' utility:

./configure
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

How can I load the GCC without using the 'make' utility?

Thanks for your help, I have searched the WWW unsuccessfully to try
to find a way around not using  ''make' to load the GCC.

Or is there a way of loading the make utility without having to have a
compiler
installed first?

Thanks for your help

Albs