mac os x and the STL (C++): limits, string

Hi everybody,
I'm sorry to bother you with my questions, but I wonder if the string
class of the Standard Template Library should not contain a push_back()
operation (in order to be able to use a back_inserter), which seems not
to be the case with my version of your library. I'm currently using Mac
OS X 10.1 and the corresponding "developer tools" (i.e. some gcc 2.95.2,
I think). I also wonder that no "limits" header file exist for now (for
the numeric_limits template class). I noticed some time ago that no
"sstream" existed, but saw in the FAQ how to procure it myself. Is there
something analogous for limits (apart from the CVS repository, where the
limits file needs some other in bits/... , so I don't know if I should
download all this)?
Thank you for your answer and the time you lose with it.
Bye
Pascal