Spelling of "dependent"

The Debian list of common spelling errors I've been mostly fixing in GCC
includes "dependant" and "dependancy" as spelling errors, correct
spellings "dependent" and "dependency".  Dictionaries seem to include both
forms of "dependent", with the form with an 'e' preferred for the
adjective and with 'a' preferred for the noun.  Should we standardize on
"dependent" as the adjective spelling in GCC, and "dependency"?

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk