Re: GCC 3.0.2 and BSD Make

> On 26 Oct 2001, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > All the world isn't Linux. Solaris, Tru64, Irix, and fifty other
> > platforms are out there. Bootstrapping code like this should depend
> > only on lowest common denominator features if possible. It is wrong to
> > release code that won't build on other platforms because the makefiles
> > are broken.
>
> Which parts need GNU make?  Definitely libgcj does, perhaps libstdc++, I
> dont know.  But if --enable-languages=c still works with BSD make, that
> may be good enough for some people.

Actually, we've tried to make BSD make work; the goal was to stick to
Posix make features as much as possible (though it's not reasonable to
expect broken makes like the one HP ships to ever work).

> Keep in mind that any GNU/Linux bias here is likely a direct consequence
> of the percentage of contributors who use that platform, and not any
> covert attempt to break other platforms.

Just the same, more care needs to be taken.  We've often had this working
only to see it break again.

Clean patches to fix unneeded dependencies on GNU make should be accepted.