Re: GCC 3.0.2 and BSD Make

I also said this privately to Perry, but will offer it here in the hopes
of laying this to rest quickly.

> > Well, that's not exactly a great way to release a version of gcc. It
> > implies dependencies on gnu make, which means that other kinds of make
> > on other platforms might also break attempting to build.
>
> Standard litany: GCC is a volunteer project, if volunteers care to fix
> this, great; if not, oh well.  Loren tried, but he wasn't successful;
> knowing Loren, that means it's hard, but I suspect that he will
> succeed shortly.

There was also a timing problem.  Support for BSD make has been broken
for some time.  In the final days before code freeze, Loren submitted a
patch that was reviewed and committed that caused a rash of failures on
other targets.  Nobody had time to work it out before the release so the
change was reverted.

It wasn't conspiratorial.  Patches (that don't break everyone else) are
welcome.

RJL