This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: GCC 3.0.2 and BSD Make
- To: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Subject: Re: GCC 3.0.2 and BSD Make
- From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry at wasabisystems dot com>
- Date: 26 Oct 2001 13:49:34 -0400
- Cc: "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>,"rittle at latour dot rsch dot comm dot mot dot com" <rittle at latour dot rsch dot comm dot mot dot com>
- References: <email@example.com>
Mark Mitchell <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> This is not a decision; it is simply a fact. The Makefiles do not work
> with BSD make not because we tried to break them; they just don't work.
Well, that's not exactly a great way to release a version of gcc. It
implies dependencies on gnu make, which means that other kinds of make
on other platforms might also break attempting to build.
All the world isn't Linux. Solaris, Tru64, Irix, and fifty other
platforms are out there. Bootstrapping code like this should depend
only on lowest common denominator features if possible. It is wrong to
release code that won't build on other platforms because the makefiles
Anyway, I've said my peace.
Perry E. Metzger email@example.com
NetBSD Development, Support & CDs. http://www.wasabisystems.com/