Re: GCC 3.0.2 and BSD Make

> This is not a decision; it is simply a fact.  The Makefiles do not work
> with BSD make not because we tried to break them; they just don't work.

Well, that's not exactly a great way to release a version of gcc. It
implies dependencies on gnu make, which means that other kinds of make
on other platforms might also break attempting to build.

All the world isn't Linux. Solaris, Tru64, Irix, and fifty other
platforms are out there. Bootstrapping code like this should depend
only on lowest common denominator features if possible. It is wrong to
release code that won't build on other platforms because the makefiles
are broken.

Anyway, I've said my peace.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com