Re: dangerous cleverness? ppc int<->float conversions, subreg

> More to the point, even if I could figure out how to get the MOVE_COST
> macros to do what I want, I'm worried that it would be too weak a

Obviously, only MEMORY_MOVE_COST describes the cost of loading into / storing
from a floating point register.  However, that doesn't mean that gcc
will consistently obey it.

> Unfortunately it doesn't bother disabling the FPU for tasks that claim
> not to need it.  (This is being taken up with the kernel developers.)

So how about making gas recognize if fp is needed, and coding it somewhere
in elf flags or similar?  FWIW the SH gas alrweady has to do this, to keep

--
Joern Rennecke                  |            gcc expert for hire
amylaar@onetel.net.uk           |  send enquiries to: jwr_jobs@onetel.net.uk