This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: virus alert on gcc-3.0.tar.gz
- To: Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe dot com>
- Subject: Re: virus alert on gcc-3.0.tar.gz
- From: Davide Libenzi <davidel at xmailserver dot org>
- Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 17:25:58 -0700 (PDT)
- cc: Phil Edwards <pedwards at disaster dot jaj dot com>, David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>, <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Carlo Wood wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 03:19:31PM -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 02:18:33PM -0400, David Edelsohn wrote:
> > > This is a known false positive warning. McAfee misinterprets some
> > > of the bits produced by the Gzip compression algorithm as matching a virus
> > > signature.
> > For future releases, we should scan the tarball ourselves, and if a
> > false positive occurs, just recompress the tarball with a higher or lower
> > compression setting. Repeat until the false positive goes away.
> > Opinions?
> Better, flame McAfee until they fix this.
I've sent an email to the guy that is responsible for the scanner engine
in McAfee ( my Co. ).