Re: Idea, and obstacle.

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> > We need to work a lot harder at this.  A reminder: the 4492 files listed
> > at http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-08/msg01443.html are still required from
> > the old web disk.
>
> I believe Jeff has addressed this now by uploading those files you had
> asked for?

That specific issue has been - and I've restored most of the files, but
not yet any corrupted ones from 2001-03 / 2001-04 which need more
individual attention.  The general issue of needing an adequate documented
backup schedule with restorations done rapidly (by people with that as a
specific responsibility) rather than taking seven months remains.  I'd
still like to know the backup schedules of both gcc.gnu.org and the FSF
machines.

> > It should also be possible to arrange for requests to a gcc.gnu.org IP
> > address to be routed to different machines depending on the requested
> > port.
>
> While this is feasible from a technical point of view, I'd recommend
> against any such solution.
>
> It is more complicated to maintain, and much more fragile (apart from
> extraneous traffic) than using different DNS hostnames.

It ought to be usable as part of a transition strategy to more specific
names (depending on how long we want e.g. old CVS trees with any number of
old hostnames to work, rather than anoncvs.gcc.gnu.org (say) for anoncvs).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk