This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Idea, and obstacle.
- To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk>
- Subject: Re: Idea, and obstacle.
- From: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer at dbai dot tuwien dot ac dot at>
- Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:14:13 +0200 (CEST)
- cc: <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu dot org>, Jeffrey A Law <law at redhat dot com>
On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> We need to work a lot harder at this. A reminder: the 4492 files listed
> at http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-08/msg01443.html are still required from
> the old web disk.
I believe Jeff has addressed this now by uploading those files you had
>> 2. In general, I recommend to use DNS more fine-grained than we currently
>> do, by having cvs.gcc.gnu.org, mail.gcc.gnu.org, gnats.gcc.gnu.org, and
>> so forth; similarily for other projects.
> It should also be possible to arrange for requests to a gcc.gnu.org IP
> address to be routed to different machines depending on the requested
While this is feasible from a technical point of view, I'd recommend
against any such solution.
It is more complicated to maintain, and much more fragile (apart from
extraneous traffic) than using different DNS hostnames.