Haney's real matrix test regression

Hi,

today, having updated my local 3.1 tree, I'm seeing a bad performance regression
(2x running time) in the C++ version of the real matrix test of the Haney suite,
wrt the perfect results of yesterday (i686-pc-linux-gnu, by the way).

I strongly suspect the MEM tracking checkins... It is possible?

In that case, I cannot understand if this is expected 'til the end of that
series of checkins or not: should I start right now pinning down the actual
assembly section responsible for the slow down or wait a few days more?
Opinions?

Thanks,
Paolo Carlini