successful install of gcc 3.0.1 on Solaris 8 (64 bit)

Hi,

I just wanted to drop you a note and let you know that I was successful at
installing the GCC version 3.0.1 on sparc-sun-solaris-2.8 (64 bits).

I saw on the build status page that this was "Not supported".  I am
guessing that is because it wasn't easy for me to install.

Here is how I did it:

Starting with the Solaris C compiler version 4.2, I tried to compile the
full source code "gcc-3.0.1.tar.gz" and it failed.  Thinking I might have
better luck to install an older version first, and then use the older
version to compile the new version, I tried installing the full package for
"gcc-2.9.5.tar.gz" and again I had errors during the compilation.

Eventually, I tried just getting the core for 2.95 (gcc-core-2.95.tar.gz)
and I was successful at compiling and installing that.  I then used that
version to successfully compile and install the full 3.0.1 version which
had failed previously.

After installation, I successfully used it to compile the latest released
version of Samba (2.2.2) with no problems.

Thank you for all of the hard work which goes into making FSF software
available.

Regards,

Arnold Andrews
MCAD/UNIX Systems Adminstrator