Re: sparcv9-sun-solaris2.8

On Thursday 04 October 2001 02:43, Janis Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 02:17:43PM +0300, Alex Zhukov wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I didnt see any reports of succesful build of the native gcc-3.0.1 for
> > host and target=sparcv9-sun-solaris2.8
> > 64bit compiler. So just in case someone is interested in already built
> > binaries that can generate 64bit solaris2.8 code, I "proudly" :) report -
> > I DID IT (after few days of struggle).
> >
> > Please feel free to flame me if it actually was an easy busy and you
> > think i was just too lazy to look at webpage http://whatever.org
>
> Thanks for the information, but the use of GCC 3.0.x for a 64-bit sparc
> compiler is not recommended.  I removed the entry for
> sparcv9-sun-solaris2.7 (64 bit) from the GCC 3.0 build status list at
> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/buildstat.html.
>
> Rainer Orth added the following to the GCC 3.0 installation instructions
> (doc/install.texi) last week:
>
>   Starting with Solaris 7, the operating system is capable of executing
>   64-bit SPARC V9 binaries.  GCC 3.0 doesn't properly support this yet.
>   Although some patches or recipes to enable this support have been posted
>   to various newsgroups and mailing lists, we recommend against using
>   them, since the compiler may either crash or, worse, silently generate
>   bad code.  If you really need this capability now, you might try a CVS
>   version of GCC 3.1, which will fully support this.  If all you want is
>   code tuned for the UltraSPARC CPU, you should try the
>   @option{-mtune=ultrasparc} option instead, which should be safe from
>   those bugs and produce code that, unlike full 64-bit code, can still run
>   on non-UltraSPARC machines.
>
> Janis

Hmm....

that's _really_ strange. I recompiled all the software i frequently use on my
solaris box (like apache, perl, mc, vim, gawk, grep, etc.) and everything
works just fine.
it (gcc 3.0.1) does generate the bad code on sparcv9-sun-solaris2.8 when used
with gnu binutils but with sun's binutils (if one can call sun's ar, as, nm,
ld etc. this way) it works just fine.