Re: Copyright forms for new contributor?

> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:54:17 +0100 (BST)
> From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
> To: Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.COM>
> cc: <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>

> How do the assignments to the FSF interact with the presence of
> non-FSF-copyright files in the tree?  For example, some of the files in
> the gcc/ada directory are copyright FSF, some are copyright Ada Core
> Technologies, some are copyright Florida State University.  If people with
> FSF assignments contribute to these files, do their contributions become
> copyright FSF (rather than any other copyright holder of the files)?

I was surprised to see that the Ada files weren't copyright FSF.
Normally during the import of new code, the code is donated to the
FSF, and the copyright is changed to reflect this fact.  It allows the
FSF to bring a copyright suit against folks that violate copyright,
and it establishes a single clear owner for the work.

Was it intentional that the code not be donated, or have folks just
not gotten around to it yet?